Well, re-entry was a little more difficult than I expected. Once the guardrails were removed, it was tough to stay on the narrow road.
I promised you honesty, so I will confess a few of my “oops” moments. (I don’t have photo evidence, but be sure it happened.)
- 4/25, 26 – Date night. Ordered steak fajitas from our local Mexican restaurant. Skipped the flour tortillas, but ate the chips and queso, and a little rice and beans. Finished up the leftovers for dinner the next day.
- 4/27 – Cook out at the neighbors’ house. Ate a hot dog, fried potatoes, and 2 or 3 potato chips (yeah, that bad, but I was trying to be nice to my host).
- 4/28 – Church small group – Nothing terrible. I did have homemade pizza and a small slice of bread, but no sweets. Just lots of cheese. The hostess always serves amazing cheese.
- 4/29 – Matt made a trip to Trader Joe’s. Unstoppable snacking while watching a movie. Everything came out of a bag.
- 4/30 – Sugar and chocolate. Had to try the coconut milk ice cream from Trader Joe’s. It was a small portion though, and I think it was worth it.
So that was the worst of it. And yes I’m definitely feeling the carb/sugar hangover even as I write this. That first day or two it didn’t seem to bother me. No stomach/digestive issues presented, but now that it has been a few days, I’m feeling sluggish, foggy, and headachey.
Here were a few of my more successful meals. I wouldn’t say any of them were really primal/paleo. But at least they were real food.
Scrambled eggs, local asparagus and homemade bialy (last two from my local farmers’ market)
Oatmeal with apples, nuts, and whole milk (no pic; a favorite with my children)
Ginger Yogurt Parfait with Cinnamon Pear (adapted with plain yogurt and honey; a favorite with my children)
Fried rice (made with left over chicken and the leftover veggies and pork from the pork and cabbage stir fry I made a few days before)
Pineapple Salsa Chicken Bake (added a little rice and cheese)
Chicken Chile Lime Burger, Guacamole, Cucumber and Tomato Salad, over greens (made for a play date with my girls and their sweet kiddos)
Ham (Applegate brand), Raw Cheddar, Avocado Rolls; apples and carrots; Odwalla juice
Grains and Greens Salad (such a burden to write for a food blog….NOT!)
Pad See Ew (A freezer meal from Trader Joe’s, a treat from Matt. Ingredients weren’t horrible, but there was definitely too much sugar.)
Italian Sausage Meatballs with homemade sauce, a small portion of pasta, sugar snap peas (and a little Parmesan – I had to)
Paleo Fudge – Oh.my.yum. I needed chocolate, and I was not let down. (Sorry no pic.)
I now have my freezer full of Paleo meals from my swap, so this week should be MUCH easier. No thinking involved for dinner. Just need to watch my breakfast and lunch choices.