I think it is easiest to eat well at the dinner table. It is the meal when we are most likely to cook from scratch, make sure our meal is “balanced” (i.e. main dish with sides), we usually aren’t in a rush, and sit down and eat with our family and friends. Breakfast and lunch tend to be where we we have problems. We are much more likely to reach for convenience items and way less likely to pile veggies on our plates. I don’t succeed everyday, but here are some of my tips for breakfast.
1. Serve leftover veggies or salads for breakfast with your eggs.
- Broccoli and Potatoes
- Avocado Tomato Salad
2. Serve leftover meat for breakfast.
3. Experiment with different seasonal veggies and different cheeses in an egg casserole.
- Zucchini Egg Casserole (loving this now that zucchini and squash are in season!)
- Check out some of my favorite egg recipes on Pinterest
- Note: These are also great because they can be made ahead of time and be refrigerated/frozen and reheated.
4. If you can’t handle another egg dish, experiment with grains other than wheat or opt try different combinations of yogurt, fruit, and nuts.
- Buckwheat Waffles
- Nuts and Oats Breakfast Porridge
- Chia Pudding (this also makes a great dessert)
- Yogurt Parfaits (substitute plain yogurt and natural sweeteners)
5. Drink your breakfast
6. If all else fails, try something fun!
- Egg in a hole (used a star shaped cookie cutter for the kids…ok I liked it more than they did!)
- Restaurant-style Hashbrowns with Sunday brunch (recipe to come)